Monday, March 23, 2009

Winter to Spring and the albums that take me there...

This is a bit of a diversion from my normal format here at Friends Recommends. Part of it is due to it getting late, and me getting tired, and me wanting to go to bed. I still have some great post ideas to be hashed out in the near future, but I couldn't get any of them together for tonight. I did have to take a trip to Annapolis today for a gig in the morning, and when I left the gig at 2 o'clock it was really something beautiful out. It definitely let me know that Spring is on the way. I am always very interested in pairing music with the seasons change, and I think certain albums fit real well with specific seasonal change. For instance, Mingus' "Ah Um" is the perfect album for the first Fall day of the year after a hot summer. It just really sets the table for Fall to make its way in. Bon Iver's "For Emma, Forever Ago" struck me as a perfect Winter album, and I'll most likely try to remember that next November. You get the idea.

So this post today is simply to recommend my top-5 favorite albums for this time of year, when Spring begins to show its face, when windows get rolled down for the first time in a long time while driving. Some albums are just meant to be heard with the windows down and played loud. I'm not sure why these five albums are NewSpring albums for me...the might not even strike you that way at all. All I can say is that I've always enjoyed these five albums the most at this time of year. They are great any time, but they will be great great in the coming weeks. If you don't have a car, because you live in NY or something, I recommend them to be playing in the ipod on a walk to work, or as you emerge from the subway to sunshine in the eyes. OK, here we go. I dont think these are in order.

1. The Arcade Fire "Funeral"--This album had it's own entire post just a few weeks ago. But I remember mentioning that this is my favorite time of year to hear it, so just consider this a reminder.

2. Radiohead "The Bends"--This one is more because of memories of a trip to Ocean City sometime while I was still in college. I remember Prevas being there, and Matthayes (where's the list, a-hole?), and Cree, etc. Anyway, I remember Fake Plastic Trees being played a lot on that trip when we drove up and down Coastal Highway, so this is forever an enter Springtime kind of album for me.

3. The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots"
--Oh man, this one is too perfect with the windows down. Just do it. Take my word. The Soft Bulletin is more of a coldish album for me, but this one screams Spring. When I walked out of my gig this afternoon this is the first album that came to mind for me to listen to. It was great. Real great. Here is a video of Beck covering Do You Realize? from Yoshemi. Not as good as the original, but it's fun to hear.

4. Pavement "Brighen The Corners"
--My first Pavement album, thanks to BrotherHop. It is still my favorite even though no one seems to agree with me. Listen to the first three songs (Stereo, Shady Lane, Transport Is Arranged) and then tell me this isn't fighting for top honors in the Pavement discography. I don't believe you. Music video for Stereo.

5. Neutral Milk Hotel "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea"--Possibly the greatest indie rock album ever created, whatever that means. This is solid gold from start to finish. You should really have this one.

6. Beach Boys "Pet Sounds"--I might get crap for this because it is so obviously a summertime album, as the Beach Boys just seem to have that sound down. While that may be true, I can never hold off past the first few warm days before I have to listen to this one in it's entirety. One of the greatest albums EVER regardless of anything. God Only Knows might sit somewhere around number four on my list of all-time favorite songs. Great!

4 comments:

ricksterb said...

Oh man. This is your best post yet. That Arcade Fire is a great Spring album. I would argue that Radiohead's OK Computer is the better Spring album. It's great for driving around real slow in a wooded area at night with the windows down and your arms hanging out the window. Or for silently laying on the floor of your bedroom at night with the lights off, window open and no shirt on. That NMH is a fall album all around in my book, but On Avery Album is Spring Spring Spring. Love this post.

"Perrosti"!!

adam. said...

Ricky. I do agree that OK Computer could work well for this. And the image of you laying naked listening to it just reinforces its effectiveness to make it feel like spring. However, I realllly love OK Computer in the winter time as well. Don't know why that is, so I went with the Bends on this one, which always makes me feel like OC.

"quincl"

t.j. said...

adam... did you say the bends make you feel like OC the tv show? now thats just a weird thing to say.

i would have to say that those are both autumnal radiohead albums for me. spring albums are as follows: tribed called quest-low end theory, and most assuredly mingus-ah um (whereas black saint and the sinner lady is oooobviously a afternoon post-the-beach-sleeping-on-the-floor album), bonnie prince billy - ease down the road, howe gelb - 'sno angel like you, anything atom and his package, and even though i dont like to admit these two... coldplay's parachutes and the strokes' room on fire.

ricksterb said...

I agree with you TJ. Room on fire is another good one. In fact, I just pulled that out recently. I would never have listed Tribe because I don't own any. But we used to listen to them a lot at this restaurant I worked at, and I think they capture the feelings of spring perfectly. I would go so far as to say that old school rap is probably the best spring music you could find.

When those flowers start pop'n I put on some Tribe. Yo, dat shit be "yosilen"!!