Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Classic

It's Wednesday, I'm back. It's Mike here with my second post.

OK, so since recommendations are what this blog is all about, I thought I would start off with a quick and important recommend from my dad. Please listen. It's an invaluable piece of information.



As stated last week, I thought I would comment on something previously mentioned here in this blog. Going through all of these lists, I came to Jessica's, which lists a lot of good stuff, but It's a Wonderful Life stood out to me. I love this movie. My dad loves this movie.



He introduced it to me when I was a kid and I've watched it probably a hundred times. If you are one of the few who haven't seen this, it's an amazing movie. If you are at all interested in the movie's story, or want to read some really interesting facts about the movie, I suggest you go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_wonderful_life


From the article:
The full extent of Mr. Potter's deviousness is never revealed to the other characters in the film, and he is never brought to account for sequestering the $8,000, although Capra filmed an alternate ending that was subsequently cut wherein Potter receives a "comeuppance".

They actually did this scene on a classic SNL sketch. I absolutely love this. Mr. Potter is arguably one of the biggest bastards in movie history, and this would have made the movie so much sweeter.



Another thing I like about this movie are the ways that George Bailey changed the lives of his friends and family by not being born. Uncle Billy ends up in an insane asylum because George wasn't there to keep him together mentally. Mary ends up unmarried (despite that she was the hottest chick in Bedford Falls when George was alive), old, and unattractive because George wasn't there. Harry dies during a sledding accident because George wasn't there to save him. The whole sequence of him not being born ends up being a little over the top (Bert the cop firing a gun into a crowd of people at George?), but I like this. It's part of the movie's charm. Besides these sparse moments, I still am moved by this movie every time I see it. I don't know of any other movie that I can say that about.

Anyway, more next week with a tidbit on something else.

1 comment:

lezleekay said...

HAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAA HA HA HAHA HAHA HAHA HA HA.

THANKS MR. WARD!