Friday, January 23, 2009

Michael Ward


This guy is definitely my kind of guy. In the past couple years we've become better friends through our involvment with the Baltimore-based glorified cover band the Egg Babies Orchestra. Mike is the keyboard wizard in the band, and we spend a lot of time in and out of rehearsals coming up with funny Davis scenarios. We also share an embarassing love of Saved By the Bell, which is not mentioned in his list. In addition to the Egg Babies, guy plays with Steve Hefter and the Friends, Friends, Friends, and does he also maybe play with Jason Dove? I'm not sure about that one, but I suspect. Regardless he plays a lot, and added keyboard work to Water School albums also, back when they were still a great band (a band at all).

Mike's approach to this list was similar to Todd's, but it's better that you read it in your own words:
In creating this list, I've looked over the other lists that exist so far, and realized many of them include things I love, so I tried to be different, if that's helpful at all. Also this list comprises of things that are more recent to me. Books I've read within the past 3 to 4 years that I really enjoyed, things I've discovered within the past 5 to 6 years in general (with a few exceptions). Also, if I were to say one of these things on the list is for you, it's absolutely the Chuck Klosterman book. If you haven't read it yet, do so. It's the funniest book I've ever read.
Will do, Mike! And now on to the Mike Ward list (all neatly organized in fives!):

Music: (five albums)

Okkervil River--Stage Names
The Zombies--Odessey and Oracle
Neko Case--Blacklisted
Ryan Adams--Cold Roses
The Shins--Chutes Too Narrow

Books: (five books)

Chuck Klosterman--Killing Yourself To Live
Yann Martel--The Life of Pi
John Hodgman--Areas of Expertise
Gabriel Garcia Marquez--One Hundred Years of Solitude
Steve Martin--Born Standing Up

Film: (five movies)

I think all of my faves have been named here already, so I've listed movies I discovered on a whim and really enjoy.

The Lives of Others
Bullets Over Broadway
Conversations With Other Women
Children of Men
The Prestige

TV Shows: (you guessed it, five TV shows)

Stella
Curb Your Enthusiasm--Season Six
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia--Season Three
Arrested Development
Extras--Season Two

2 comments:

h. van de mark said...

I can't believe someone else has even heard of Conversations with Other Women. I watched it recently and loved it. Good recommend!

MikeW said...

Yeah, I check that movie out on netflix and it blew my mind. Really cleverly crafted.