Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Regina Spektor--Samson

Moving along in the HSV list...some real good (usually sad) songs here. That Coldplay song from Garden State is a personal favorite, but if I remember correctly HSV hates Garden State so we'll avoid that one. Also good to see some Mogwai make an appearance. Brother Eric, after seeing Mogwai at Baltimore's Ottobar said they were both the loudest and softest band he's ever seen. I believe this.

I chose Regina Spektor for a reason. There is something about her music (although I've only heard a few songs) that I really like, but I feel bad about liking. Something just feels wrong about it. Aaron Gause and TJ and myself feel the same way about Coldplay. It feels like a guilty pleasure, but I can't put my finger on why. It isn't a guilty pleasure like Guns 'n Roses, or Alphaville's Forever Young (which I am ashamed to say I am guilty of liking both) because I really don't realize why I feel strange for liking Regina Spektor and Coldplay. So, there is no reason to fight it...I should just keep on with it.

My personal liking of Regina Spektor is a result of one incredibly catchy song that I will post at the end. It isn't the Heather pick of Samson, partially because I had never heard it before her list was posted. But I must admit Samson goes along with me liking the lady, and once again I don't know why, and once again I feel a little funny about it. So without further ado I present Samson, which fits snugly in the category of beautiful sad if any song ever has:



And my personal Regina Spektor pick to counteract the happy-sadness of Samson. This song can't help but make you feel good, and I bet you'll want to be singing a-ha-ha-ha, ha-ha-ha, ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaa at the end of it. Just try not to. I have divulged my secret love of Fidelity to a number of people, and every time without fail they admit to secretly loving it as well (Eric Trudel even admits to once seeing her live...bold!). Not sure what it is...


1 comment:

t.j. said...

a real treat, try listening to that particular regina spektor album on good headphones. sweet jeebus somebody did some nice producing on it and there really is a lot of aural flavors to taste. its like a fine wine.. with hints, splashes and bouquets of things all around. (that last part was affeminant, but so is liking regina spektor... and now i've done both,, must counterbalance it wish something manly.... go eagles?... carburator?...umm... triceps!)