Monday, March 30, 2009

________ Sundays

This one is going to be a little bit of a recommends stretch for me. Since some of my fellow bloggers have gone a little bit outside of the box, I decided to do so for this Monday post because it is something that I feel strongly about.

This is the concept of _______ Sundays. It should be read like Richard Lewis' "The ______ from Hell." For the purpose of this post, ________ should just be read as "blank." The idea of ______ Sundays was suggested to me by our Thursday poster TJ Huff back when we were in our undergrad. However his ________ always takes the very specific format of Coltrane Sundays. There are no set rules for Coltrane Sundays, other than you try to make it a point to listen to some music by John Coltrane every Sunday. To me this is a great idea, and I try to do this religiously, like most people who go to church on Sundays. Sometimes I get way into this idea and listen to a whole lot of Coltrane, and some Sundays I just listen to a song or two. As I type this I realize that I haven't gotten my Sunday dose of any Coltrane today, but with a half hour remaining I can't think of a better way to close the weekend. Currently listening to "Chasin' the Trane (Live)" from Disc One of The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings. We'll see where we go from there. I hope TJ chimes in to enlighten us more as to his reasoning for the invention of Coltrane Sundays, and exactly when that happened. He is truly the biggest fan of John Coltrane's music that I know (and I know a lot of people who love him) and I suspect that he just wanted to make sure that he always makes time to appreciate his music.


So, my recommendation to you isn't necessarily to participate in Coltrane Sundays, because you might hate the music of John Coltrane. My recommendation is to find something that you love to do, or a musician that you love more than the rest and dedicate just a little bit of time one day a week (Sunday IS the perfect day) to make sure you appreciate that thing. You owe yourself. It is really easy to get caught up in the day-to-day of things we NEED to do, that sometimes we don't allow ourselves the luxery of listening to our favorite jazz saxophonist even for just one song that takes up five (or fifteen) minutes. That is a shame.
So, I urge you to find your own ______ and make sure you appreciate that thing at least one a week. Please let the Friends Recommends readers know if you have chosen a ______ for your ______ Sundays. It might catch on big like TJ's Coltrane Sundays.

My second pick was "Impressions (Live)" (Eric Dolphy!) from the same disc and album as "Chasin' the Trane" and my third will be "Everytime We Say Goodbye" from My Favorite Things.

5 comments:

ricksterb said...

I always wondered where Eric got the idea for "Other guys' wangs Sundays" from.

Laundre said...

I gotta be honest and say I'm a little disappointed that this post didn't in some way involve Never On Sunday as I expected when I started reading.

But great idea nonetheless.

Smiley said...

I used to actually do coltrane sundays, from hearing through the grapevine from aaron gauss(sp?) about TJ doing coltrane sundays... Recently it's been more Ornette sundays I must say...but a great concept nontheless!

t.j. said...

coltrane sundays are a great respite for me. i really like traditions, and i really like coltrane... so it works out just right. i also have an affinity towards religion... though i have a problem with religious people... so having this little bit of something to do on a sunday is kind of like making a special coltrane service... i think ______ days are good though for anything that you know you reeeally enjoy but don't experience that often anymore for one reason or another. for me, i listenned to trane so much at one point that i perhaps exhausted my ears and little by little noticed that i would choose things other than trane to play on any given day. the slightly forced nature of the coltrane sundays were rigid enough to make me remember how much i like the guys music.

Smiley said...

even tho i've only met you once, thanks tj for coltrane sundays