Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Napping

In today's recommend, I'm going to talk about the importance of a fave activity of mine: napping. I've been reading a few things about naps and one thing I came across says this:

Snoozing for a half-hour can be an enjoyable way to promote physical well-being, and naps have been known to improve your mood and memory. A 20-minute nap can sharpen your senses and revitalize you, while a ten minute nap can leave you feeling more cheerful. Falling into a light sleep during the daytime can feel meditative. The thoughts you have as you are taking a nap and the dreams you experience may offer you insights about your life that you may not have at night when you are in a deep sleep.

- DailyOm.com

I personally recommend a 50 minute nap for even more sharpened senses. More from DailyOM.com:

In order to fully enjoy the benefits of napping, you may need to give yourself permission to nap. Feeling guilty about snoozing or worrying about your to-do list won't do you much good when you are trying to take a nap because your thoughts or feelings will keep you awake.

No problem here. Let's continue:

If you go to an office, try to crawl under your desk for a nap.

This sounds great, but I probably would be fired.

One crucial element to a good nap is a comfortable couch. I have this old couch from the 1970s that I like a lot. You are going to want to get something that has soft cushions that you just sink into. You also are going to need to make sure that before buying your napping couch, making sure that it's as long as you are. Let's get serious–trying to stretch out on a love seat just isn't going to work. Also, I don't recommend using a futon (not comfortable enough) or a bed (too comfortable). You don't want to create the atmosphere of night time, otherwise you'll wake up at 8 pm, and will be up all night. So, make sure you leave a light on, OK? I also read that if you do decide to get into napping, it's good to have a set routine. I try to nap the same time everyday. Afterwards, I feel like a new man, ready to take on the rest of the day. When I skip a day napping, and I have to be out late, and up early, there's a major difference in how I feel the next day, than if I hadn't skipped...so get your nap in!



***Also, fave snowball flavors: Cherry, Lime, Skylight.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wardo, you have the best posts. Naps and food. You can't go wrong.