Friday, June 26, 2009

Rant--Chuck Palaniuk


Ricky had a really nice post on time travel yesterday, and Heather mentioned this book as a recommendation if he wanted to continue to explore different takes on the subject. I will begin by saying that I loved this book. I love quite a few books, but this one is near the top of the books I have read in the past couple of years. I even bought the book for Brother Eric for some holiday, and he doesn't like to read books anymore. He didn't read this book I don't think, but that is beside the point.

Of anything Chuck Palaniuk I have ever encountered this is my favorite by far. I've read Survivor, and I've seen Fight Club and that stuff is fine, but Rant is where it's at. I swear. Very early in the book the reader is presented with the knowledge that Buster Casey (Rant) is dead, and the entire book explores the very strange events of his life, beginning with his obsession to get bit by poisonous spiders and snakes. If you want a complete rundown of the plot check it out here. It's been about two years since I read the book, so you'll get a better idea from reading that.

The time traveling element doesn't get introduced until the middle of the book, and it involves a nighttime activity called Party Crashing. If you read Rant and don't want to party crash you are not like me. I read Rant, and I wanted to party crash. You will have to read the book to find out what party crashing is. There are two more installments of the Rant series scheduled to be released in 2011 and 2013 and I will definitely read both. My explanation of this book isn't great, but it is coming to you as a very very high recommendation from me. Whatever that means for you...this book is worth a damn. Ricky, it isn't an option for you to not read this book. Eric has it, so does Heather...one of them will be nice enough to let you read it.

5 comments:

dave. said...

his book "haunted" has been on my shelf for ages. i want to read it, i really do, but i cannot bring myself to do it for some odd reason.

Unknown said...

There is a lot of about Chuck P. that i don't like, and I would agree that even though I feel like I may want to read his books, there isn't much pull there. I will eventually get around to Rant, although now that I see the cover, I realized that it is what initially turned me off of the book.

Unknown said...

OK, I just read that wikipedia plot summary and I feel like Rant is a combination of the bad movie Crash and a Japanese RPG videogame that doesn't make much sense. I got the sense that I would actually hate Rant, which kind of makes me want to read it more.

h. van de mark said...

wow. i had a feeling that ricky might hate this since he seems to have particular tastes. but i didn't think that speculatively hating it would make it more interesting to read... complex.

and "haunted" is not that great. :( i think that was the last book of Palahnuik's that I read and was like okay I'm done with this guy. But then Adam bought me Rant, so I was obliged to read it and was thrilled. In my opinion, haunted may be close to an anti-recommend.

Unknown said...

I found Rant to be an excellent read. Also, just finished Pygmy.
Liked that too but Rant is better
than Fight Club.