Monday, June 29, 2009

Bands with a gimmick

Nothing can take a mediocre band and make them freaking awesome faster than a good gimmick. Take a C+ band and give them a good shtick and you've got an A- minus band. It's that easy. I don't know why more bands don't do it. Bands don't seem to be following this formula very much anymore, but here are a couple of my favorites from a couple of years ago....

Man or Astroman? They claimed they were from outer space. They wore weird spaceman costumes. They played kinda futuristic surf rock interlaced with sound bites from forgotten Sci-Fi movies. I know pretty stupid. But they never broke character. And their shows were a lot of fun. I can remember seeing them with Les Savy Fav at Fletchers in 1997 or 1998. (Was it Fletchers?) I don't remember, but I do remember it being one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen.

Here's a clip...


Servotron. These guys pretended to be robots bent on enslaving humanity. They dressed in really cheesy robot costumes, painted themselves silver and put on an amazing show. They sang songs about mildly famous mistreated robots(Vicki from Small Wonder! R5D4!), and also about how stupid human civilization is.



The Causey Way
. I discovered this group a little later on and unfortunately never got a chance to see them live. Their gimmick was that they were a cult posing as a band. Except they claimed they were not a cult. In fact that was their motto "The Causey Way is not a cult" I guess they tried to indoctrinate you at their shows or something. Sounds like fun! Oh, and get this, the band had two of River and Joaquin Pheonix' sisters in it. Crazy!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I haven't heard of these bands or had a chance to watch these cossms yet, but I like this post Einstein!