Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Joint Movie Review


So, Netflix sent me a movie recently called Margot at the Wedding, because apparently I only put movies about weddings in my queue now...but, I wanted to talk about that today with the help of fellow recommender Jessica...(It's not recipe week still is it?)

Mike: I got this movie in the mail and started watching it, wondering why in the world I added it. I hated that Rachel Getting Married movie and this is another movie about a screwed up family, getting into arguments, preparing for some wedding. This one, though, I really enjoyed. Then I realized why. It was made by Noah Baumbach, who wrote and directed the Squid and the Whale. The writing is actually really good. It's with Nicole Kidman, Jack Black and Jennifer Jason Leigh. I liked Jack Black in this one a whole lot more than in previous outings because he's not doing his whole Jack Black schtick. Nicole Kidman, is really good here, because you slowly see how crazy she is, but at the same time, I didn't hate her character. She was just really interesting to watch. The movie isn't really about anything, other than these people slowly revealing how crazy they all are. Jessica, what did you think of this? Are we finally agreeing on this one?

Jessica
: Margot @ the Wedding -- where do I start? The Squid & The Whale being Baumbach's most acclaimed production thus far was not the enticing factor for me when queuing this movie. I thought TS&TW was just okay, probably because as a 30.y.o. lady there wasn't much I could relate to in the formative years of adolescent boys. I queued it b/c of an appreciation for Jennifer Jason Leigh and an increasing appreciation for Nicole Kidman, as well as being pleasantly surprised with Kicking and Screaming (Baumbach's first effort). And having seen a third film of his, it is clear that he has a voice and an intent and a purpose. It's also another movie that would've lingered at the bottom of my queue forevermore until Ward came along and asked me to bump it up.

I would say (perhaps surprisingly) that the main difference between these two movies is that RGM is more formulaic than M@TW. It was the surprise performance from Anne Hathaway that I think really pushed RGM to be more "acclaimed" tha M@TW because most people are well aware of the acting abilities of JJL and NK. So, it's the difference between going to Dangerously Delicious Pies and expecting fantastic-ness and being wowed by the local diner's unexpected bakery selection.

Not to say that RGM is formulaic in general, it just is in comparison to M@TW. M@TW has a more natural flow, it's not out to tell a specific story the way RGM was, it was more interested in sharing an experience of people I thought. Or rather, it shows you who the characters are by their actions rather than telling you how they are -- you don't get any backstory of who these people are the way you do with Kym (Anne Hathaway) getting picked up from the health facility as the opening scene.

I'm sorry I'm not being more specific but I think part of the draw of the story is how the characters unfold and how you think you know someone and then you realize that maybe you don't at all. That might be a totally subjective lesson I'm taking from the movie, but I also felt that the characters felt the same way about themselves. They think they're this one thing or one way, but then they realize they're not either and it's like you're in it together, sort of...if that makes sense at all. And as crazy as these characters are, it was the first time in my whole life that it made me a little sad that I don't have a sister (same sex sibling rather), and that I can't understand that dynamic at all.

Mike: Well, I'm glad that we agree on this one. Your thoughts are right on par with how I felt, as well. Touching on how the characters develop throughout; that for me was the most exciting thing to watch. I also really liked the humor in the movie. There were several instances of "blink and you'll miss it" kind of things. Like when they are in the restaurant, and someone is doing awful karaoke. A lot of the humor is really subtle.

Jessica
: Well, it was really dense and I'm still undecided about whether I liked that or not. Like the whole weird neighbor thing and the pig and the tree. I liked that that made it sort of true to itself/reality in the sense that totally odd random things can happen in the midst of a story/plot and they weren't weeded out as unnecessary but at the same time, it made for a pretty fast paced story where at times I was just trying to keep up. All in all, I liked it and I wish more movies where made like it. I wasn't as impressed with the Jack Black aspect....I wish another actor had played that role. He wasn't horrible, he just felt a bit awkward. There were moments of greatness, but it still felt like he was using his schtick in a movie that wasn't schtick-y.

Mike
: Well, maybe a bit, but it was definitely downplayed a lot, I think. Maybe it isn't possible for him to entirely do away with it. Anyway, that's our review! If you liked Noah Baumbach's previous work, give this a try. Thanks Jessica for helping me out on this one. It was good to have your insight.

2 comments:

ricksterb said...

I like this because when I ordered RGM from Netflix, I intended to order that Kidman/Leigh/Black movie about weddings. I still haven't seen M@TW. I like that M@TW looks like some kind of weekday joke that I don't quite get yet.

adam. said...

i like this. jessica...that post was abbreviation city.