Monday, June 1, 2009

Jpod

Oh man, is it book week already. I feel like I just showed up to school and realized that I have a book report due. The only problem is that I really haven't read any good books in a good long while. I just don't seem to have the time anymore. Don't get me wrong I love to read; I majored in books in college. Just don't have the time right now.

So instead of a book recommend, I'll give you a TV show recommend that is based on a book. That's the best you're going to get out of me today. Sorry. Anyway, unless you live in Canada you've probably never seen the show Jpod. Jpod was a CBC show based on the Douglas Coupland novel of the same name. I've never read the book, but I've read most of Couplands earlier works. At one point I considered him one of my favorite authors. But at this point, looking back at his literary career I kinda consider him a one trick pony. But at least it's a pretty pony! All of his books blend together to me. I know I am doing a bad job on selling you on the merits of Douglas Coupland, but if you stick to just one or two books of his you'll love him. (Those two books being Shampoo Planet and Microserfs).

But this isn't a book recommendation. This is a TV show recommendation. The show lasted for one 13 episode season before it was cancelled in 2008. Its about a bunch of generation Y video game programmers in Vancouver and all there wacky exploits. The main character is called Ethan Jarlewski. He's young and smart and confused unsure about life, etc. He's your standard likable young lead character. The real stars of the show are his father Jim Jarlewski, portrayed by Alan Thicke! in by far the most amazing role I've ever seen him in, as well as the Chinese mob boss Kam Fong.

I don't think there has been a DVD release of Jpod, however you can watch the entire series on the WB website for somehow.

1 comment:

ricksterb said...

I did read J-Pod and Coupland is sort of a one-trick pony. However, I did enjoy J-Pod more than any of his books since Microserfs. Though that's not nearly my favorite either. I recommend Girlfriend in a Coma and Life After God. It's been many years since I've read either of those so who knows.