Wednesday, May 6, 2009

More things about food

Today I wanted to talk about something I feel very strongly about: food. More specifically: fast food. I was reading the comments about a recipe week, and I already know that I'm not going to have anything to contribute. I'm pretty terrible in the kitchen, but I'm pretty great at picking places that are considered fast food, but not completely gross.

Baja Fresh
I had a hard time thinking of a topic, but then in the spirit of Cinco de Mayo, I remembered that I love burritos. I lived in Timonium for two years, and while there, cultivated a pretty strong love of burritos. I don't know of any other place in Maryland that has so many burrito places so close by. There's Baja Fresh, Qdoba, Chipotle, some place called Moe's, and another place close by (in Towson) called Frisco Burritos. I've been to all of these many times. Some I've probably had dreams about. But, to me, the best is Baja Fresh. Their burritos aren't as heavy as any of the other places. Chipotle and Qdoba's burritos are loaded with too much stuff, and I don't like their cheese as much. Also, Baja Fresh gives you free chips with your burrito, which is something that will not happen at Qdoba or Chipotle. When I go to Baja, I love the Bean and Cheese burrito, loaded with Cholula sauce. They also don't steam the burrito shell; they grill it, which is nice and different. Having all of these places near me, though, was great. Even when I say favorite, I still would go to all of the other places quite regularly. Now, I have no burrito places in a convenient proximity to my house. So, I miss those days.

Chick-Fil-A
A few months ago, Chick-Fil-A opened up near my house. I live in Arbutus, and it's seriously a barren waste land of quality fast food. This opening has been like a God send. When I go, I get their chicken nuggets. They don't taste like any other chicken nuggets of any other place. They are completely unique. Also, if you've never tried their lemonade, it's probably the best you'll find anywhere. Another thing that's nice about going here is that they are incredibly friendly. The feeling of being wanted is really nice.

Five Guys
I actually talk about this next place quite a bit. Five Guys is the best goddamn burger place in town. If you are like George French, every time you go in there, it's the best meal of your life. It just gets exponentially better with each visit, like a song that keeps modulating up a whole step. I already have built up many happy times eating at Five Guys. The one thing about eating here is that whatever time you go, that's your dinner. They pile the food on. I always get the little cheeseburger, and small fries, and they just fill the bag up to the brim with fries. For me, one of the things that makes this place so great is how different the burger seems from other places. The patty is really good, and the fixings are all really good, with tons of options. Maybe someone more eloquent than myself can put it into words better.

Ann's Dairy Cream
Growing up, I would go to this place at least twice a month. Ann's Dairy Cream is on Richie Highway, in front of the Marley Station Mall. They specialize in footlong hotdogs, and milk shakes and they've been there in that one spot since the 1940s. The footlong is a wonder. Getting "everything" will get you chili, onions and mustard. It's better than any hotdog you've ever had. The milkshakes are also probably better than what you've ever had. If you go there, you go for hotdogs and milkshakes...if you are going to get a soda, you might as well not go at all. I usually get the Vanilla, which may not seem like a big deal to rave about, but it really is that good. They also have banana, cherry, strawberry and chocolate.

OK, those are some of my faves. I look forward to seeing what everyone else's raves are.

18 comments:

Steve(n) said...

Ann's Dairy Queen reprazent!! As soon as my friends could drive (I didn't get my license until I was 18) we'd pay our respects to Ann's almost weekly. A chili dog-banana milkshake combo was my soul food. Good call.

Chris said...

Man, what a blog. Baja Fresh is so very good. I get the Steak Burrito Ultimo, in addition to an order of chips and guacamole. Chip overload! And how about that fixins bar!! I pick up like 2 of each of their half-dozen varieties of salsas. And then I eat all night. A true diner's paradise.

MikeW said...

Their salsa at Baja is so very good. I really love the "Salsa Baja" flavor more than the others. The other burrito I get is a custom burrito with only chicken, rice and cheese. Add some Cholula sauce, and it's an incredible meal.

Jessica said...

I've never been to Ann's Dairy Queen, but I find it hard to believe that there exists a milkshake better than the one you'll find at The Gallery on Centre St....made from Moxley's, I believe.

Chris said...

Mike,

Baja Salsa is great and so is their Salsa Verde. Its tough to pick between the two. Their mango salsa is a winner too. And then there's the new one that I don't really know the name of yet. The only one I don't really like is the hottest one. Not much to it. Because of the way you talk about the Baja, I'll overlook that all you order is some lame ass Bean and Cheese Ensalada. I know you said "burrito." What a great restaurant. Its a great meal, Michael.

MikeW said...

JesKa, I've never had this milkshake from the Gallery, but I can say that I don't think I've had a better milkshake than Ann's. Some friends and I have been going on a bike ride to the B&A trail, then stopping at Ann's (which is right off the trail) for footlongs and milkshakes. If there are any other bike riders, maybe some of us can do this one time.

t.j. said...

i ride bikes... but it'd be a further ride for me i think.

"fooot long... who's got the foooot long" - harry from dumb and dumber

Chris said...

I don't ride bikes, but let's talk more about Chick-Fil-A. What a really good meal, huh? Growing up I was a nuggest fan, but since they introduced the Chick'n Strips, I've stuck mostly to them. Dip that stuff in some Polynesia Sauce!!! A big decision I had to make as a kid at the mall was whether I wanted the waffle fries or if I should go get some Boardwalk fries. Typically, I'd do the Boardwalk, but these waffle fries are pretty waffly and delicious! Don't you guys think?

t.j. said...

chris, you couldn't be more on point with the waffle-fry-edness that they do well. crispy and still oil-ridden to a delicious degree. i dont frequent fast food places really ever... but these have a special place in my clogged heart.

Steve(n) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve(n) said...

Myers, Ward - get a room.

Chick-Fil-A breakfasts are Da Bomb. The egg-and-cheese biscuits are like God's crying in your mouth, because He just saw something very beautiful that He made and was knocked out all over again by it. (Scarlett Johanssen)

I can get down with some Baja Fresh, but how can either of you think their queso is superior to Qdoba's?? That's just nuts. I'm not a huge Qdoba fan, but their queso is the best thing on the menu. You should be able to pay for things with their queso; except for more queso, in which case you should hold on to what you have.

Laundre said...

I can't argue with anything on here except I've never been to Ann's. At Chick Fil-A I actually like their chicken sandwich with the honey mustard sauce. The sauce combined with the pickle on the sandwich is a great flavor combo.

Chris said...

I've read this blog a few times today and I'm beginning to really not dig how you complain about Chipotle putting too much shit in your burrito. Boohoo, Mike Ward. Suck it up.

GF said...

I'm a little disappointed in the inclusion of Baja Fresh. Sure, their fixins are good, but its because the food itself is totally bland. Like that commercial with the cardboard steak.

MikeW said...

Well, I realize I'm probably in the minority by favoring Baja. I like their burritos bc they aren't as heavy as the other places. But, that's not to slag on Chipotle and Qdoba. Qdoba's Queso burrito is what I get there. It's fantastic. All of these places are good. I just prefer Baja out of the bunch.
Also, those waffle fries are amazing. I love when you score one with the skin on it.

Chris said...

Again with the "heavy." Now, I like the Bajas because they taste delicious, no matter how light or heavy they are. Get over it. Suck it up. Down that shit.

Jessica said...

Please ignore Chris -- he's feeling a little cranky today.

Mike G said...

If you get 5 pounds of burrito (see: Chipotle, the best fast food burrito) you don't need no stinkin' free chips!

Also, get the vegetarian burrito at Chipotle and the guac is free. Awesome. I will brook no argument.

-Jenny (too lazy to sign out as Mike)