Thursday, April 2, 2009

inverse-recommending

t(.j.)hursdays again...

i must give hoorahs to my fellow recommendeers once again for really stretching the bounds of what is recommending.
i too am going to put a tiny spin on the scenario that is this blog.... last week at some point, we got into a good round of commenting where a few of us voiced or disdain for the Cormac McCarthy book ON THE ROAD. i didnt like it none... and neither did adam, chris or rickster...

so what i was thinking for this thursday, is perhaps we can continue with this crowd participation blogging (since adam isnt giving us a new list to write about and we can only talk about aronofsky's THE CELL so many times before it gets repetitive). I am proposing a Anti-Recommending day... or rather.... maybe thats innacurate... its the Inverse-Recommending day or the Bizarro-Recommending day... perhaps we can put some things on the list that we would suggest our fellows not to partake, observe, or participate in...

i'll start, and please add anything that you dislike onto the list (sorry this is so negative by the way, but it will be neat if people disagree here.. go ahead... offend a few):


BOOKS:
Cormac McCarthy - ON THE ROAD
David Gibbons / Alan Moore - WATCHMEN (i might stand alone on this one... though the movie wasnt so bad)

FILMS:
101 Dalmations re-make
Vicky Christina Barcelona (a bit trite and cliché if you ask me)

FOOD:
porcini flavored popcorn
fresh-out-of-the-microwave hot pockets
drinking 1/3 cup of olive oil after an apple cleanse

MUSIC:
cotton-eyed joe / electric slide / and that other song where people clap their hands 3 times

OTHER:
television during the daytime when you are near a window showing a nicely-weathered day
cigarettes in the AM in the summer
sliding down a metal slide in the summer before checking its temperature

hmm... i'll add some more... you should add some in the comments section.

11 comments:

ricksterb said...

Why do you hate summer time so much?

I never liked Brave New World. Not the Aldous Huxley novel, nor the TV miniseries based on the novel. I've tried reading it five times and I always get only so far before I just move on to a different book. Boring!

Also -and I know this is treason to some- I'm not a huge fan of the Big Lebowski. I've been a bit shy about admitting that, but my girlfriend hates it and her adamant disapproval of that movie gives me a little confidence. It is funny, but it's also a bit "submaci".

adam. said...

hmm. the book running with scissors by augusten burroughs was terrible for me. despite the rave reviews it received it really sucked. it might have been even worse because heather and i listened to it on tape, and the author is really annoying.

also recommend against most things involving a trombone. i said most.

i need to think about this more. there are a lot of things i could anti-recommend.

t.j. said...

oh yeah... my girlfriend tried to get me to read brave new world... i got to the babies in the lab part (probably page 30-ish) and had to stop...

i'll also second the disdain for tromboners.... though they are great in this context:
http://sadtrombone.com

h. van de mark said...

i'm interested cuz i have vicky, christina, barcelona waiting for me at home to watch. my hopes aren't high as i haven't loved woody's newer films. they just don't have that "ortior" of manhatten or annie hall.

i dont recommend living with my current roommate. nope not at all.

i also anti-recommend pineapple express (movie), the master and margarita (book--i just couldn't get through it) and misogyny (social plague).

Laundre said...

I think there is confusion here on this road book. "The Road" is Cormac McCarthy's book and "On the Road" is Jack Kerouac's which I thought the other guys were talking about. I've read neither so I need to know which one I shouldn't read.

ricksterb said...

That sad trombone was the funniest thing ever. I wish I could make that sound. I would probably better help me express my "emations". I actually like trombones. What I don't like is when trombonists make (trom)boner jokes. Talk about a social plague.

ricksterb said...

Hated "On the road". Never read "The Road."

Chris said...

I'm with ricksterb. Cormac No read.

t.j. said...

oh man... ok.. for clarification - i meant McCarthy's THE ROAD.

but this is getting interesting... megan likes the very book heather dislikes... neeeeat

adam. said...

i second pineapple express being terrible. throughout the whole movie i thought that it would get better and that i shouldnt turn it off. it never got better, and i should have turned it off.

everyone seems to hate on the road. does anyone LIKE this book? its status as a classic might be in jeopardy as a result of this blog.

h. van de mark said...

never read on the road. dharma bums had a pretty good payoff at the end, but i was fairly disenchanted with the book as a whole. i think kerouac may just be a plague of high school obligatory, impress-your-friends/parents/teachers, name dropping. like salinger. no i am not impressed that you've read catcher in the rye.

(or in a more positive light, consider them gateway authors).