Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Ward Top Five

Hey Everyone, It's Mike.
Today I will be talking about my Top Five. OK, let's jump right in:

Your Song - Elton John (1970) from the album Elton John


If this song were a movie, it'd be Adaptation. (The movie about the movie you are watching being written.) The song is about the song being written. More specifically, the song is about his struggle with writing a song for someone else. It's all very self aware when you think about it. It's also one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. As for my own experience and appreciation for this song, I grew up playing piano and I loved many of his songs. Your Song, though, wasn't really among my faves until I actually started learning a bunch of Elton John songs years later. It was through studying this song, learning the changes, that I really began to appreciate how amazing Your Song is. "I hope you don't mind that I put down in the words: 'How wonderful life is while you're in the world'." That chorus is absolutely killer. I almost wonder if he's talking about a separate song here. I'd like to hear it, because this one is about as good as it gets.

Gypsy - Fleetwood Mac (1982) from the album Mirage


As all of these songs will reveal, this one also had roots in my childhood. Gypsy reminds me of being a kid, riding in the backseat of the my mom's car. I loved this song at a very young age. Some of these songs evoke a feeling that's hard to put into words, but I like whatever it is. The riff for this one is really great. I could listen to the riff alone, all day, and probably not get tired of it. Also, Stevie Nicks has a line I really love: "Lightning strikes maybe once, maybe twice. And it lights up the night, and you see your gypsy." I think of her singing this line to some fictional guy. I interpret it as: "Love only happens once or twice in life. (You most likely won't find anyone like me again.) I'm your gypsy." Another great thing about this song is the performance itself. Lindsey Buckingham's guitar work on this is pretty fantastic. Overall, the arrangement is just great. Also, Stevie Nicks has one of the best Wikipedia entries I've ever read. Check it out.

Telephone Line - Electric Light Orchestra (1976) from the album A New World Record


So many of my favorite songs are written out of despair and loneliness. Loneliness has been an impetus for great music for hundreds of years. Here, Jeff Lynne sings about someone who doesn't have an answering machine and won't pick up the phone. I love the lyrics to this song. Really beautiful and heartbreaking words. "I'll tell you everything/If you'd just pick up that telephone." and "I'll just sit tight in shadows of the night/And let it ring for evermore." I always picture Lynne sitting in this library to an English mansion, all the lights are off, and the moon is casting its light through these enormous windows. In Batman Returns, there's a shot of Bruce Wayne sitting in his library, with the moon shining through the windows. So, kind of like that. Whoever this is about, Jeff Lynne definitely gave it his all to win that person back. All of the melodies in the song are just perfect.


Linda Ronstadt - Blue Bayou (1977) from the album Simple Dreams


This is a cover of a Roy Orbison song. So far all of these songs I've listed were songs I knew of at a very early age. However, I've loved this song longer than any other. I don't know of a time when I didn't know this song. It was the first song I ever loved. I remember thinking, even at that young age, that this is my song. My mom had it on cassette and would play it all the time, and I would hear it on tv, in commercials. Anyway, growing up this song would appear now and then, and I would never tire of it. My dad used to constantly play the Roy Orbison Black and White concert (which used to air on PBS all the time). I love that version as well. But really, this Ronstadt vocal performance is top notch. I can't think of too many that would equal it. I don't think I can think of any that surpass it. It's like she really means every word. When she comes in with "I'm going back some day..." it sends chills up my spine. Such an amazing delivery. I also came to appreciate the song on a different level years later. I never got that it really is a country song, with country pedal steel. Also, the longing theme never really caught on with me. The hopefulness of a better life exists somewhere.

The Bee Gees - How Deep Is Your Love (1977) from the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack


So at first glance, some may write this song off. It's from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. Guess what, though? The Bee Gees songs on there are brilliant. This may be my favorite song of all time. Again, like with the rest of these songs, I was really young when I knew this song. My parents owned the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. I bought it years later when I was in college. Still it wasn't until maybe a few years after that that I had an enormous appreciation for this one. It's just got everything there. The lyrics are great, the harmonies are great. The vocal performance is beautiful. I never tire of this song, which I think is one of the biggest criteria for one's fave song.

So there you have it. All pretty songs. No rockers. I peaked at age 6.

7 comments:

Chris said...

Look at you and me picking a bunch of wussy songs. You know how I feel about "Your Song." ITS WONDERFUL. I wonder what song got bumped from your Top 60 Minutes of Music to include Blue Bayou, though?

MikeW said...

Well, when I made the Top 60, there was a song that didn't quite feel right, and I just didn't think of everything. I sometimes forget about Blue Bayou, then when I hear it, I always remember how great it is. So from my Top 60, the Wilco would get booted.

Steve(n) said...

The "and it liiiights up the niiiiiight" line is a real winner. I almost drove myself off a cliff singing that line endlessly for the three weeks it was stuck in my head after you gave me the 60 Minutes disc. I have a feeling it might be back for a little while now...

lezleekay said...

your parents and my parents probably bowled next to each other in the 70s. my dad is the biggest fleetwood mac/linda ronstadt fan. i remember being insanely mad at him for having crushes on stevie nicks and linda ronstadt b/c i thought it hurt my mom's feelings. hahaha

Jessica said...

I feel completely gypped that my parents listen(ed) mainly to the radio. With only an occasional Van Morrison or Tom Waits record thrown into my childhood, how was I supposed to develop my music appreciation?

My only memory of singing along to a song in a car when I was little involved Tina Turner's What's Love Got to Do With It and ended in the embarrassment of adults snickering over a little girl singing What's Love Got to Do With It.

lezleekay said...

PS. Mine:

jeff buckley - hallelujah
joan baez - love song to a stranger
elvis costello - indoor fireworks
leonard cohen - hey that's no way to say goodbye
lucinda williams - fruits of my labor

MikeW said...

That's prob my fave Elvis Costello song. It almost made my Top 60 minutes of music.