Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The jESKA Top 5

I'm actually starting to go a little mad over these top 5 lists (no offense, to anyone) and I think a week is all that should've occurred with these top 5s. I'm tired of thinking about what my top 5 songs "of all time" would be and why, and can't even imagine attempting a top 60 minutes, despite what I said about in a previous comment. Also, I'm pretty sure this is still a fairly inaccurate compilation on that front, but Adam badgers like no other so without further ado (& in no particular order) :

Blue Valentine (written and performed by Tom Waits, 1978)



Another Tom Waits. I feel a little like I'm punishing some of you b/c of the frequency of Tom Waits songs in these Top 5s, but I just couldn't help it. I love this song. I think one of the things I like so much about Tom Waits in general is that he creates songs and stories and sounds that aren't necessarily reflective of his own story but of a story that he wants to convey. I think it's a natural inclination for singer/songwriters to write what they know (or close to it), and that's what most of them do and I really appreciate that he creates really distinct characters with his songs.

California (written and performed by Joni Mitchell, 1971)



I don't even know how to put into words why I love this songs so much. It's the sort of song that I could listen to at anytime, and it's especially pleasing to unexpectedly hear it because it always puts me in good mood. This is from her acclaimed album Blue which ranks on several top album lists. And for you jazz buffs out there, it might interest you to know, "the album was influenced by jazz, particularly the music of Miles Davis. Mitchell used alternative tunings on her guitar to allow easier access to augmented chords and notes in unexpected combinations."

Crazy (written by Willie Nelson; as performed by Patsy Cline, 1961)



Maybe this one's too cliche and cheesy for some but seriously, it's iconic, beautiful, and moving and I think deserves to be in some top 5 list or another. It does fall into the performance vs. singer-songwriter category and it determined that I stand differently on that debate than I thought I would. I really wanted to opt for Willie but her performance of this song is what propelled it to stardom, even though I'm a huge Willie Nelson fan (which I guess is one of the few musical contributions from my family, since I haven't shared this bond with anyone else to date). He has much more to offer the world than On the Road, Again and To All The Girls I've Loved Before.

Kodachrome (written and performed by Paul Simon, 1973)



Does everything look worse or better in black and white? I can't decide anything else after this stupid list, so why don't you duke it out amongst yourselves and tell me.

Tonight You Belong to Me (written by Billy Rose & Lee David, 1926; as performed by Bernadette Peters & Steve Martin from The Jerk, 1979)



Ukulele and cornet, esp. the cornet -- need I say more? Maybe. Bernadette & Steve are just adorable in this scene. You know how there's always that stupid question in stupid quizzes of "what is your ideal date?" -- this would certainly be mine. Sigh, if only I knew how to play the cornet.

12 comments:

t.j. said...

jESKA,

i think you should stop worrying that songs might be cliché or cheesy. i think its your top 5 list and its allowed to be whatever you want and anyone else can take their opinions and stuff em in a hat somewhere... i think a top 5 should be an unbridled, guiltless pleasure... i like your pics... besides... did you see how many BeeGees picks got on to top 5's?... i mean... if there's anything to feel self conscious it might be that.

t.j. said...

"pics" was supposed to mean "picks" as in selections... pleeease don't think i have pics of anyone on our friends recommend blog that i enjoy... pleeease don't think that.

ricksterb said...

Ha! t.j., you're a riot.

I absolutely love Kodachrome. In fact, if I owned that song, I might have remembered how much I love and I would have put it on my top 5. I listened to six times in a row when I saw it on here. That song is so good. Perfect build, perfect length, perfect!

Chris said...

First, t.j., you're a jerk. Secondly, jesKa, the Jerk song and the Rhymin' Simon songs are brilliant. The rest, I'm not sure about yet.

Laundre said...

What I love about these lists is even if you know someone likes a particular artist I never know what songs they find most appealing. Tom Waits in this case. I strongly considered his version of "Somewhere" from Blue Valentine for my 60 minutes.

Kodachrome is great and my biggest regret is that I didn't get any Paul Simon/Simon and Garfunkel on my playlist.

And Sarah would love to see that you picked the song from the Jerk.

Jessica said...

I would like to defend my first two picks, which haven't been received esp well (in comparison to some of the other songs on my list).

I have a very hard time separating music from lyrics, maybe because I was an English major. Those first two songs are, in addition to very moving music, very well written short stories/long poems to me. And they just tie in so well with the music that they get pushed ahead of maybe some other better (musically) songs. I know Blue Valentine is long and slow but let yourself feel the song and the character and you might just be surprised.

Also, my previous double that I mentioned was going to be Don't Worry, Baby but I pushed through and found others that needed some recognition as well.

adam. said...

i have never seen The Jerk, but probably should I guess? i hope making this list wasn't as painful as you make it seem.

kodachrome is right up there for me...i was happy to finally see a paul simon pick.

Jessica said...

really? you should have a talk with your brother b/c he pretty much thinks discovering your interest in/love for Paul Simon is the first step in a long decline.

erichop said...

I might hate solo Paul Simon more than the Bee Gees. If your name is Paul and you were in a successful group in the 60's, then you should have ended your music career after the group split.

Steve(n) said...

Jess, I love the "California" pick. I went through a big Joni phase as a sort of the flip side to the Dylan coin, and "Blue" was a true companion. This is such a great song...I love how excited she is about simply going home and being among familiar things again. It's probably about sleeping her way through Coldwater Canyon too, but whatever. That's cool too.

Jessica said...

thanks, steve(n)! there are few guys i know that truly like joni mitchell.

Chris said...

Steve(n), remember the conversation topic that we keep returning to?