Friday, April 3, 2009

Not a Big One (but it is #100!)

OK, friends. Well boy, talk about anti-climactic. I just realized when posting today that this is our 100th entry in the Friends Recommends blog. And what a disappointing one it's going to be! I need a nap...the nap is more important than blogging right now. But I promise a real nice post for our 101st on Monday morning. A couple things I've been enjoying a lot that I got off emusic.com this past week (if you are thinking of joining let me know, there is something in it for both of us!) Two albums that I think are worth a damn:


The Antlers--Hospice: I didn't know anything about these guys. I still don't really know anything about them, but I downloaded this album on a whim because it showed up in my emusic recommends box when I signed in one day. I think it is really nice. Think Okkervil River meets Animal Collective light. Really it is like Okkervil with some very atmospheric electronic-y type stuff...great for driving in a rainy day like today. You can hear some of the tracks from Hospice on their myspace page here. I think it's really nice.


Nels Cline--Ground: I am currently addicted to Nels Cline. He might be most familiar as Wilco's super-guitarist, but for those of you who only know him through Wilco his solo records are really fantastic. He releases albums under different group names, sometimes just Nels Cline, sometimes Nels Cline Singers, but this particular one is Nels Cline Trio. Ground was originally released in 1995, but I just discovered it this past week on emusic. Definitely leans towards the rockier side of Nels' solo records, but man is it good. And he is such a nice guy that he puts a ton of free tracks on nelscline.com for your enjoyment. I'm going to make it really easy on you and link the two tracks from Groud directly. Here is Beer Bottle Collection and Cropped. They aren't actually full clips, but they give you a good idea of what the album sounds like. I highly recommend this one, especially if you like your rock a little weird. OK, great. Happy 100!!!

2 comments:

t.j. said...

"But I promise a real nice post for our 101st on Monday morning." - Adam Hopkins caught in mid-lie

h. van de mark said...

ha. i'm waiting on that 102nd post.