Thursday, December 11, 2008

Robert Rauschenberg

Robert Rauschenberg (b. 1925, and died very recently May 12, 2008) is a very interesting artist to me. He is someone who I had not checked out until big brother Eric recommended him via this blog. Ideally, that is what this blog is for, to turn people on to something they had never heard of or spent adequate time with prior to reading. This is one such occasion when it worked in favor of the author. I have only spent a day or two researching the life of this guy, but I am certainly intrigued to look further into his life and works.

I will rely heavily on my artist friends to chime in on this one, because surely they have spent time studying what Rauschenberg was about. I read a few bios and other write ups, in addition to some samples of the guys art and found a couple of things that were really interesting to me. A full bio is available here for those with interest beyond this extremely limited assessment. The essence of what he was about seems to be rooted in his distaste for the seriousness of the abstract expressionalist movement that was in its prime when Rauschenberg moved to New York in the early 1950's. Instead of adapting to this movement, he found his own way in the art world incorporating pop culture into his pieces. He is also well know for introducing found objects into the art-making process, which he referred to simply as combines. This technique seems to be a critical part to this day in the work of some friends, and favorite artists of my own. My personal interest in the artist was not sparked initially by viewing his art, but more by some of his personal quotes in reference to the art making process. I found the following quotes to be relevant to all areas of art-making, not just the visual arts. Some of my favorites:

"People ask me, 'Don't you ever run out of ideas?' In the first place I don't use ideas. Every time I have an idea it's too limiting, and usually turns out to be a disappointment. But I haven't run out of curiosity."

"Screwing things up is a virtue. Being correct is never the point. Being right can stop all the momentum of a very interesting idea.”

and the very uplifting..."I feel as though the world is a friendly boy walking along in the sun."
And some of his art that I found particulary stimulating:





6 comments:

h. van de mark said...

I find it interesting that when you have links to YouTube and Wikipedia there's always some tangential comment on the source site, but when it comes from a reliable site such as PBS not a word on the souce. Why is that? Do you think PBS is boring, while YouTube and Wikipedia illicit a certain entertainment quality that web surfers have come to expect? I'm just curious...

t.j. said...

ahhh... "rauschi" as they annoyingly call him at the gallery i used to work with. one of massimo's heroes - and you can see it in that boys art.

one of my favorites of his is his erased dekooning drawing... here's the address (i doubt links work here, so you might need to copy and paste, but its worth it)

http://www.wishwallmural.com/learn/rauschenburg-med.jpg

basically... when he was an uknown artist he asked willem dekooning for a drawing to erase... so dekooning made a sketch and pressed as hard as he could. i think thats funny that he made rauschenberg really have to work to erase his piece.

i tried to do a follow up of this idea with "rauschi" a couple years back. i wrote him a letter to see if i could continue this idea and make a "disassembled rauschenberg assemblage". wherein i would take apart one of his sculpturey pieces and lay out all the pieces in the same gallery that first showed his erased dekooning drawing... he never wrote back, and then he died.

so yeah, thats my favorite piece of his, among others... least notably the pictures of his that i printed in 2005... those were boring.

hi gray suite.

erichop said...

I didn't realize he just died. I guess I just assume that he has been dead. The BMA has a really nice one of his combines. There is a red velvet rope around the piece and when I was in college, some stupid hippie girl was leaning over to look at it and was saved from falling into the painting by my art teacher that grabbed her before she toppled completely lost her balance. Stupid hippies. Man, my teacher had a horrified look on his face.

adam. said...

HSV you are looking far too deep into this. From this moment forward all sources will be adequately marked. Real nice comments. Massimo is just the guy I was thinking of when I mentioned this fellows' influence on artists I know. I wish that hippy would have fallen...

t.j. said...

do hippies feet smell?

h. van de mark said...

AKH, i look deep into everything.

hi TJ.

and yes hippies' feet smell. but so do regular folks' feet.