Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Griffin and Sabine Trilogy--Nick Bantock


Since I haven't read this series of books, you can't really consider this a recommendation from me. I chose to write about it because after seeing it on JesKa's list I decided it was something that I want to buy and read based soley on the concept of the trilogy. I'm actually really excited to get ahold of them, and am much looking forward to reading the series. Good job, JeskA!

After researching this series of books by British author Nick Bantock, I found out that it is the first of two trilogy's he wrote based on the same concept. By most accounts I have read great reviews of The Griffin and Sabine Trilogy, and less than great accounts about the later Morning Star Trilogy. For this reason I am going to stick with the Griffin and Sabine Trilogy, unless I love it so much that I need more. What I learned from my favorite unreliable source Wikipedia is that the book is an epistolary novel, which means instead of a standard book format the story is told through a series of documents, in this case letters and postcards. The basic concept of a story told through letters is not new to me. My long-standing favorite book The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Steven Chbosky is written entirely as a series of letters by a boy of high school age. What I was impressed by is how much further Nick Bantock's trilogy takes this concept. The story of Griffin Moss, a postcard-making artist from London, and Sabine Strohem, a postage stamp artist from the South Pacific is told through a series of actual letters and postcards, instead of the book being written simply in a letter format. The collection of postcards and letters can be removed from the book and read as such, with some of the letters even coming in envelopes.

I have posted a couple of images of a few excerpts from the book, but I feel like the good time begins when you actually have the stuff in your hands. Most reviews of this I have read scream the trilogy's praise. I just hope that the story of Griffin and Sabine is as interesting as the concept. JeSka?





1 comment:

Jessica said...

this recommend was actually originally recommended [to me] by one m. bovie.