Monday, December 22, 2008

The Holiday Staples

A reminder from last week, I will be taking the week off from the normal list-recommenders approach to this blog. I don't know anyone who has to work at least on Thursday, and most people have off either Wednesday or Friday so I feel like it would be a throw away week anyway, and I'm never trying to rip anyone off. We'll resume in the normal format after New Years. For the rest of this week I am going to post some of my favorite holiday clips, if for nothing else but to make myself happy.

Today I decided to go with a few movies that I couldn't go without seeing during the holiday seasons of my youth. There are plenty more that I tried to watch every year, but here we have scenes from the movies that are must-see for me around the holidays.

Clip one is a musical number from A Muppet Christmas Carol. You may have to see this movie year after year to appreciate it...it's a little cheesy on it's own. If you don't want to watch the whole thing I advise fast forwarding to minute 3:43 to at least watch the Scrooge dance. He is finally overcome with Christmas joy and can't seem to contain himself from breaking into an arm-swaying dance. This is the stuff that dreams are made of:



I think everyone has seen A Christmas Story. This is one of my favorite scenes, although every scene from the movie qualifies as classic. Right after this Ralphie gets his mouth washed out with life boy. A Christmas survey: Was the person in line with Ralphie and Randy, who says "I like the Wizard of Oz, I like the Tin Man" a boy or a girl? I always thought a boy, but I'm not so sure anymore. It isn't in the clip below, but I'd really like to know the answer to this.



And finally a scene from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. This might be my holiday favorite Christmas movie. This scene isn't necessarily the best in the movie, but fast forward to 3:30. If anyone knows my brother Eric, they will know why every time I see this scene I think of him reacting to this situation in the very same way. Great, great, great:



3 comments:

t.j. said...

can't see the line, can ya' russ?

erichop said...

I always assumed that was a girl.

h. van de mark said...

i can't wait to watch these in the next few days! so funny