Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Piero Manzoni--Artist Feces

This is an oldy but a goody, from our very first post by Timothy J. Huff. I revisit this for two reasons. 1) I am tired, and it is going to be short, and this is an easy one to sum up without being wordy. 2) I still need to further investigate this Myers list. 3) I feel like a lot of people missed this one in the first list. When I mention it to anyone they don't remember it being here. It is funny. I don't know if it is supposed to be funny, but it is. WARNING, this might gross you out slightly. But trust me, it is funny:

In 1961, Italian artist Piero Manzoni collected his own feces in 90 numbered cans, which contain 30 grams of feces each. Each can is labeled with "100% pure artist's sh*t" in English, German or French. Originally they were sold for their weight in gold, but they are currently valued to be worth between $25,000-35,000. In May of 2007 one of the cans sold for 124,000 euros(!) at Sotheby's. At the time 124,000 euros was the equivalent of $167,400. Search for it if you don't believe me. Pictured above is the English version, and below are the French and German. Discuss, please.

3 comments:

t.j. said...

oh yeah... i think its funny alright

h. van de mark said...

what?!?! i looked into it before, but i never saw what it was worth. that's ridiculous.

ricksterb said...

Just when I thought this blog was getting gross, you had to go and bring actual shit into it.