Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Friday Night Lights (TV)

Well, I have to hand it to The Christopher Myers for this one. Following his theme of "Things I Was Determined To Hate" I walked into watching the first episode of Friday Night Lights (for free, on hulu.com) determined to never watch another episode. I mean, come on, I hate football. But a weak little man inside of me loves epic sports scenarios, be it on a softball field in Druid Hill Park, or unfortunately be it on a made-up football field in Odenton, TX.

I never saw the movie Friday Night Lights, but I am imagining it follows the same theme. Top-rated football team, in football town Texas, and all the things that happen in football town. Really though, the show had me at hello. It was a cheap shot, but after the credits rolled the first song playing on the jukebox in football town diner was Debra by Beck off of my all-time favorite party album Midnight Vultures. That was a low blow, Friday Night Lights. The direction of the first episode is a little bit obvious from the onslaught, following backup quarterback and his grandma, and his non-football playing (for shame!) friend. And in the next scene following the top-ranked quarterback in the nation and his top-ranked girlfriend. I think what happens in the first game is made pretty obvious, but it makes for real good television. So, we'll see where it takes us.

It is 12:41am currently, and I have to be up much earlier than normal to mix the Quartet Offensive record. But I am hooked enough to watch just one more episode before bed. Damn you The Christopher Myers for this one. I never asked to like this show.

P.S. you might remember from a previous post the mention of Cory recommends band Explosions In the Sky writing the soundtrack to the movie version of Friday Night Lights. Don't be deceived, the theme music is not them. It is a television composer (not a chump...he did score the Wonder Years, The West Wing, My So Called Life, and Felicity (!!!)) but he is still not Explosions In the Sky (it is however, a terrible rip-off). They are used for some music throughout the show though, so not all is lost. I don't know. Maybe you should check this out? Especially football fans? One this is for sure...Texas is a weird, strange football loving, praying in the middle of football games, kind of place.

2 comments:

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

Adam, I am joyful!!!!