Friday, August 7, 2009

Shameless Plug and Jerseyband

Let me begin by saying I need to hang out with Ricky B. This guy has been getting himself into all kinds of things lately, and I want to be a part of it. Ricky, let's make this happen and I'll film you telling the tale of your first and only bar fight.

Today I bring you something that isn't really a shameless plug. At least not on the surface. It is inspired by a shameless plug, though. Since I leave for Switzerland in the middle of next week I've been trying to wrap up a lot of things before I go. One of the biggest being all of the promotion for an upcoming show Quartet Offensive is doing at the Ottobar. Our first Ottobar show, and since that place is so huge I am hoping it is well attended, hence the promotion. Now, I am not posting this blog to promote the show. That would be truly shameful. However, if you are interested it is on Thursday August 27 at the Ottobar with Jerseyband, Soul Cannon, and Leisure Icons. Quartet Offensive will play a one-time-only all Pavement cover set.

Anyway, the reason for the recommends is Jerseyband. This band amazes me, and the more I recommend them to people the more great feedback I get from them. Jerseyband's lead singer/trumpet player Brent Madsen lives in Baltimore. I have the pleasure of performing with him regulary in a band called Turn Around Norman. Anyway, while at The Eastman School of Music Brent formed Jerseyband with some of his classmates (some of who are now at the forefront of the NY jazz scene). They've created a new genre of music called Lungcore, which is like heavy metal but with a full-blown 4-piece horn section. I promise you this makes for very interesting music.

Brent recently gave me a copy of Jerseyband's latest album "Beast Wedding" which is honestly one of my favorite records of the year (right next to The Dirty Projectors "Bitte Orca"). It is awesome. I don't say this because Brent is my friend. I say it because it is awesome. I never use this blog to recommend friends' projects, so this one must be special for me to do so. Anyway, I've included some videos as an introduction to Jerseyband. There is a chance it might not be your thing, but at least give it a chance? You might like it more than expected. I love it.




No comments: