Monday, August 3, 2009

Funny People (bonus comeback blog)

Hello everyone!

Its your old friend, Chris. I used to post on Tuesday. The last time that I posted, I recommended something about one of my favorite TV shows these days, Chuck, and everyone said it was bad! It really hurt my feelings. I felt like you weren't giving old Chris the benefit of the doubt. I really thought I had found something for everyone to like. Some light-hearted fare that would make this crazy, crazy world appear to be a little more manageable, if even for just an hour a week.

Anywho, I saw this Funny People movie this weekend. Anybody else see this? Recommending a Judd Apatow movie is hopefully on par with recommending a Wes Anderson movie. They're no-brainers and unnecessary recommends, right? People sometimes complain that his movies are too long and that he turns an amazing 90 minute movie into a so-so 140 minute movie. Well, people, I respectfully disagree! I could have watched another 40 minutes of this stuff, and I nearly did!! Adam Sandler is a pure delight. Would we have ever stopped loving him if he never made Little Nicky? This movie made me want to hang out with Adam Sandler.

Anywho Part II, I bought the soundtrack to this movie even before I saw it. This Judd Apatow seems to have a thing for Warren Zevon, whom I've written endlessly about at another blog of mine. Early in the film, and I'm not going to give anything away, but this song brings about a very emotional moment in the film:





Zevon wrote that one knowing full well that he was about to die. Does it get any more tragic than that? Cry with me.

Anywho: Whoville Spiez, another song that plays a real pleasant role in this movie is "Real Love," a John Lennon demo, which later was finished by his Beatles bandmates for the Anthology series. This reminded me of something that I think about far too often...and I nearly did! What if the Beatles would have chosen to release this BEFORE the less-amazing Free As A Bird? They both made the Top 40 charts, but I feel like if Real Love was labeled as the "first new Beatles song in 25 years," this would have been an absolutely phenomenon. It would have been like the British Invasion all over again. It would have made Oasis hang up their cleats and admit that there was no use even trying. I've embedded the Beatles version and the John Lennon demo. Either way you listen to it, its just so wonderfully pleasant!





So, my dear friends, I recommend to you..."Real Love."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think about this all of the time.

MikeW said...

Great blog!!!! I smell a comeback. Thanks Chris! I really want to see this movie. Adam Sandler has had moments of greatness, so it doesn't surprise me that he was good in this. The fake movie where he was turned into a baby by a wizard was pretty amazing.

Laundre said...

This is a day late but as a side recommend, I enjoyed the Randy documentaries that were part of the viral marketing and since I live by rule #2, "motherfuckers need to know," I'll post them here:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3